Monday, February 4, 2008

Twitter?

Hmmmm... still not convinced.  I've started to use Twitter a little more... but in no more meaningful way than the trite head-emptying involved in updating my status on Facebook.  I get the idea of building community, but I don't get the idea that building community means I need to know that someone has just put the kettle on or that I let people know I'm off to bed.  I suppose that my perspective would be different if I were actively using it in my work, within a small group - but it seems so unsubtle.  You update it, or you don't.  You follow someone or you don't.  You have a limited number of characters so whilst you might say 'ah, but it fosters concise writing', it might also be said to foster trivial writing.  What is there of real community building worth that can be said in 140 characters?  That couldn't be found in Facebook / MySpace with their additional features...

As I say, I remain to be convinced...

No comments: